Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services is holding a Special Open Door Forum:
Improving Documentation of Chiropractic Services
Thursday, September 24, 2015 from 1:30 – 3:00 PM ET via Conference Call Only
Participant Dial-In Number: (800) 837-1935
Conference ID #: 33191909
- Opening Remarks
Jill Nicolaisen (Office of Financial Management/CMS)
Chair – Richard W. Whitten, MD, MBA, FACP
Contractor Medical Director; VP Health Policy; Noridian Healthcare Solutions
Moderator – Natalie Highsmith (Office of Communication/CMS)
- Discussion Questions
- Improving Documentation of Chiropractic Services – Richard W. Whitten, MD, MBA, FACP
Chiropractic Services have had the highest rate of improper payments for Medicare Part B services according to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Comprehensive Error Rate Testing (CERT) program. How prevalent do you think it is that chiropractors are unaware of Medicare regulations such as Local Coverage Determinations (LCDs) and the Internet Only Manual (IOM)?
- What do you think is the underlying cause of this problem?
- How do you gain access to information on how to properly document your chiropractic services?
- How do you envision a successful nationwide effort to improve documentation by chiropractors once the education plan rolls out?
- What is the best way to broadly promote and ensure participation of busy chiropractors in the educational program to improve the ability of chiropractors to document?
- Past OIG evaluations have found between 40 and 47% of all paid chiropractic claims were for maintenance therapy which Medicare does not cover- do you think that chiropractors misunderstand the use of the AT modifier? If so, why?
- Why do you think that chiropractors do not send in information requested by the Medicare contractors which is an automatic denial for lack of medical necessity?
III. Open Q&A