Board Certified as a Specialist in Health Law
“I created this Firm because I wanted to make a difference. I don’t settle for anything less than clients who are raving fans who know we care about them and will do whatever it takes to deliver real value every time.”
With over 30 years of targeted healthcare law experience, Mr. Cohen’s background and expertise is in transactional healthcare and corporate matters. He is board certified by the Florida Bar as a specialist in healthcare law, and is the founder of The Florida Healthcare Law Firm, a firm which brings vast experience, knowledge and practical advice to a wide range of healthcare related entities such as
- Physicians and physician group practices
- Medical staffs
- Home health agencies
- Surgery and Imaging Centers
- Drug & Alcohol Treatment facilities
- MD/DC business arrangements and many others.
Prior to founding The Florida Healthcare Law Firm and National Healthcare Law Firm platform, Mr. Cohen was the in-house counsel for the Florida Medical Association and served for thirteen years as a partner in a respected law firm in South Florida. He is equally knowledgeable about contract law, corporate and employment law, and all of the specific laws and compliance regulations that relate to healthcare entities. These regulations include Stark, Anti-Kickback, fraud and abuse and HIPAA. An AV-rated attorney, he has developed a reputation for providing exceptional legal services and ethical counsel.
Mr. Cohen graduated from Florida State University (B.A. cum laude, 1984) and Florida State University College of Law (J.D 1987).
Mr. Cohen is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association, the Doctor’s Advisory Network of the American Medical Association, the American Society for Medical Association Counsel, the Florida Hospital Association and is also a certified arbitrator with the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA). He served as a member of the Executive Committee of the Health Law Section of the Florida Bar from 1994-97, has Chaired the Managed Care Division of the Health Law Section, was a member of the Antitrust Advisory Committee to the Agency for Health Care Administration in 1993 and was a member of Health Law Section of the Florida Bar’s Certification Committee from 2005-2008.
- Named “Best Health Care Attorney” at the 1995 Medical Business Health Care Awards, Mr. Cohen was selected by his peers as a “Leading American Attorney.”
- He was selected by his peers as one of the Florida Legal Elite for 2008 and again in 2013
- Mr. Cohen was recognized in Florida Trend‘s 2008 & 2013-2015 print issues.
- Honored as a Key Partner for 2011 by the South Florida Business Journal
- He and the Florida firm have been listed in each of the annual editions of Best Lawyers in America, Best Law Firms in America and Super Lawyers since 2011.
Recent Expert Commentary:
- In 2017, he was featured by LawyerMonthly Magazine as a Healthcare Thought Leader
- He was featured as an expert panelist in the 2014 Healthcare Transaction Advisors Mergers & Acquisitions Performance Study and the 2015 M&A Turnaround Study.
- Mr. Cohen was also interviewed and provided content for the 2015 book release of “A Financial Prescription for Doctors and Dentists Strategies for Achieving Your Personal and Career Goals.”
- Mr. Cohen was a contributing attorney author who provided expert commentary for the 2015 book “The Medical Entrepreneur: Pearls, Pitfalls and Business Advice for Doctors”